Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Nineteen Everlovin' Years

Yesterday was my and my husband's 19th anniversary. Yes, we did get married on April Fools Day on purpose, in case you were wondering. D just saw me typing away on the computer and asked if I was writing him a love letter. I'll give it a whirl.

Our 19 years have definitely had ups and downs, but as much as we get exasperated with each other at times, our connection is so strong. We have really different brains--I'm linear, logical, even-tempered, conflict-averse, optimistic, and rather dull. You are none of those things. You are observant, expressive, creative, cynical, and funny. I'm none of those things. 

I love watching us at an art museum. In each room I start to the left of the door and work my way around the room piece-by-piece, and tend to like the ones that have pretty colors in them. You go in some totally random order, as for as I can tell, and have very strong opinions about what you're looking at that don't seem to have much of anything to do with whether there are pretty colors involved. I love watching us on bike rides. I pedal along at a steady pace, watching for traffic above all. You speed ahead, then lag behind, looking everywhere BUT at the road and the traffic.

We've found a lot of common ground, too, however. We totally understand each other's basic values, some core personality traits, and of course our feelings towards our kids. And where we differ, we've given each other some insight into how the other half thinks and feels. I think it's fair to say that I've learned to value of creating and expressing, and you've learned to value of critical thinking. Kinda sorta, anyway? And in the end, I'm sure there is no better partner for me. I know that I need independence and I appreciate that you've allowed this, even when you've wanted more connection. I know that I also need a partner who challenges me, and life with you has never been boring. I may complain at times, but in truth, it is what I need. I love the fact that I can still be totally surprised by your reaction to books and movies and events in the news. Without you, my life would be out-of-balance, colorless, and lifeless.

How's that for a logical, even-tempered, and rather dull love letter? Anyway, I really, really do love ya! 

5 comments:

Magpie Ima said...

Congratulations! That is one of the more analytical love letters I've read and I'm sure your sweetie finds it just charming. Keep up the good work, you two!

ElizO said...

You can see what he has to put up with...

mariko said...

Hello, you are one of the least dull people I know! Happy Anniversary!!

Ali said...

Happy anniversary, E & D!

Anonymous said...

Dull, you are not! Congratulations to both of you for finding the wonderful "commons" that keep you together.

Catherine