Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Adjustments

Events have conspired, and it is time to make some minor adjustments in our routines and way of life. First, we have some debt to pay off, since we fixed our bathroom and bought a new (used) car. We've had a mortgage for a long time, but I don't think we've had any debt since we paid off my student loans about 5 years ago. It is hard to figure out where to cut corners, since it seems like all we spend money on is food, but we spend way too much money on food, so surely we can find ways to save on food. 

I know that good quality, local and/or organic foods are a luxury to many, but it is bigger than that. It fits with my larger values about minimizing our impact on the earth, about giving my money to operations that have a social conscience, rather than huge agribusiness operations that are stripping away the topsoil, dumping toxins into our water system, displacing smaller family-run farms, and treating animals inhumanely. This just doesn't feel luxurious--it feels like the right thing to do. But, we do have to get our bills payed. 

And another change I'm just not yet totally comfortable with--we're now a two car family, and, OMG, I think our new car is an SUV! Its a small one, but it sure is shaped like and SUV. This is a shock to my system, but I'm trying to get used to the idea. Ack, what have I become!? And, there's another adjustment, other than the emotional one of getting used to being a two-car family. Now I don't have to walk to work, which used to give me 6 hours of walking each week and was my only real exercise. I love walking, and I often had lovely walks home with some friends from work. On the other hand, it didn't feel so safe to walk in the morning, so I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore. Plus, I'm glad that my commute time has gone from 2 hours per day to about 25 minutes per day. Surely I can find a way to get some exercise in the extra 1-1/2 hours I now have on my work days. Trouble is, I'm going to need to exercise on my non-work days too, to make up for losing all those miles of walking.

OK, I'll cope with having two cars, I can find a way to exercise despite losing my walk to work. I'm sure we'll find ways we can cut back on our grocery bills. I think of myself as someone who likes change, but I guess I like small changes, like taking a new job in the same organization where I've worked for about 12 years (not actually moving to a new organization), or re-arranging the same old furniture, or updating a bathroom (not moving to a new house), or switching from bike-riding to walking to work (not getting a second car). Woo-hoo! Boy, I am getting old, aren't I?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a new car! That obviously gives you more options but adds more dilemmas as well. You might try exercising at lunch, or stopping on the way home in a favorite neighborhood to get a walk in prior to arriving back home. Sometimes, the kids and I will go to the track at the old HS on 42nd and they'll ride scooters or bikes or play in the long-jump pits while I run. They usually last long enough for me to get a good workout in.

I can appreciate all the reasons you are choosing your food wisely (and hence, spending more money). I agree with you and am trying to support those growers, producers and merchants who are doing it the sensible, sustainable way. It's a vote for progress but definately a bit more expansive. In the short run, anyways. Perhaps it'll even out over time.

My goal is to grow more of our own food each year and continue to freeze and can lots of produce when it's fresh. I'd also love to learn more about drying foods. Yeah, I'm sure we can fit that into the schedule, too ;-).

Anonymous said...

That last comment was from me, Catherine. For some reason I couldn't sign-in as I have before!

ElizO said...

Yes, I've been jogging in the afternoon at work this week, so at least I'm doing something, and I'll just have to do more catch-up on my days off to keep up my total number of miles.

Good point about growing, freezing, and canning to help with the food bills. If I could just be on top of going berry picking regularly this summer (and pay u-pick prices), that alone would save me a lot of money on smoothie ingredients throughout the year.