Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A (Brief) Glimpse of the Promised Land

So I've been jogging (I call it running, but let's be realistic, it is jogging at best) 2-3 times per week for a few months. I had big plans and a 4-day-per-week running schedule figured out, but I haven't quite been able to make that happen. Needless to say, my aerobic capacity is improving at quite a slow pace, and I still can't even always make it 2 miles before having to stop and walk.

Back before kids I used to run a lot, and was in the lovely state where I looked forward to running, and was bummed out if I had to miss a day. I even had many pretty exuberant moments running through Forest Park. I can't say I'm feeling especially exuberant when I'm running (jogging) these days. In fact, I'm pretty miserable the whole time.

BUT. Today I was jogging and busy thinking about something at work and I suddenly realized that I had passed my 2-mile marker and I was actually feeling pretty good! Of course, within about 10 steps I was gasping for air and dragging myself miserably along and had to stop and walk, but still! It felt good for a minute! It will feel good again. I'm within striking distance of enjoying jogging, I just know it. With Christmas vacation coming up, maybe I can make some faster progress and get to that point where I don't have to talk myself into it every time.

No comments: