Friday, September 11, 2009

More Not-Back-To-School Events

We went to Oaks Park today for the Not Back To School day (unlimited rides for $10/kid) and had a great time. I was remembering the first time we went to this event, I think seven years ago. We went with two other homeschooling families and didn't know another soul there. M was just a toddler, and A was afraid to go on anything other than the carousel. We played a game with the other kids we went with and then pretty much just watched the other kids go on rides. I think M went on a kiddy ride that involved motorcycles, but that was about it besides the turn around the carousel.

What a difference seven years makes! A was still not just crazy about the rides and avoided the wildest ones, but she went on a bunch, as did M. The biggest difference, though, was how everywhere I looked I saw kids and parents I knew. It was such a kick to see the younger generation of kids M's age now big enough to run around the park as a gang and go on rides while the parents hang out the shade. Every once in a while you'd run into a parent who would ask "Tell my kid to come check in if you see him, will you?" It felt like we lived in a small town--we didn't know everyone by a long shot, but it felt safe and comfortable, and I knew that if something happened to one of my kids when I wasn't there, there would most likely be someone they did know close by to help them out. At the same time it gave the kids a nice chance to shed their parents for an afternoon and hang with their friends, if they wanted to.

And I love seeing all the teenagers who were just lovely kids--happy, having a good time, and full of positive energy. At one point some other moms and I were watching the kids try out fencing and a gang of 5 or 6 pre-teen and teenage boys say down and shared our table with us. They were doing their own thing, watching the fencers, drinking sodas, and probably just taking a little break. I thought that, knock wood, there would be M and his friends in about 5 years.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

It's wonderful belonging to that kind of community, isn't it?

Hey, I realized last night at a party that one of Maria's friends knows you from work--Allison Firemark. She's a lot of fun. Portland is such a small town...