Thursday, October 9, 2008

Just what the doctor ordered

I have been on vacation this week, and it has been a great relief to everyone in the house to have me home. Like many families, mom is the backbone of the family, and things seem to fall apart when mom is (I am) gone to much over too long a time period. This week everyone has had an outing or two (or three, in the case of dad!) alone with me, and the pent-up need for mom-time seems to be more or less satisfied. At the same time, we've passed around a cold, which has kept us home a little more than usual, which has also been a good thing for getting everyone feeling right with the world again.

I haven't quite met my goal of jogging every day of vacation. In fact, I haven't jogged yet, and don't see it happening in the next few days, but I am very inspired by my brother-in-law's completion of the Portland Marathon last weekend. If I'm remembering correctly, he started jogging in January of this year, lost 50 pounds, and ran two half-marathons and one full marathon by the first weekend of October! He actually had some really good tips for me that I think I can put into action, but not until I'm done with this cold. Nevertheless, it has been lovely, sleeping in until 8:00 or later, getting one-on-one time with everybody, eating some delicious dinners, playing cards, and watching a few more movies than usual. Very lazy and luxurious. Next week I'll get serious about jogging!

2 comments:

mariko said...

Yes, I could use another running buddy, so get back to it, Tizzy!

ElizO said...

Hey, one of my bro-in-law's suggestions was to run with people so I don't flake out. Once I get so that I can reliably run a few miles I'll give you a call! I'm still working on breaking an 18 minutes mile...